Strategic Chief Financial Officer
The CFO at Focused Energy will be instrumental in the company’s progression from fractional to management consulting. This role will operate within two spheres of responsibilities; External and Internal. In both, the CFO will provide:
- As a Strategic Consulting CFO, you will serve as a trusted advisor to clients to define and shape their maturity and growth by providing executive counsel to identify financial issues and challenges proactively. There will be a focus on assessing clients’ perceived issues and priorities to ensure alignment with the business conditions, priorities and needs.
- This is not a drone billable role. Shepherding clients to their next level is the utmost goal, while interacting with CEOs in a professional, candid direct executive dialogue.
- As an Expert strategic Consultant, you will become a pivotal member of our consulting team, working alongside client CEOs and serving as a member of the executive team. You will lead collaboration on challenging projects with client members from many backgrounds to advise them on a constellation of issues, including finance transformation, technology, operations, process and policy.
- Your legacy will impact not one, but numerous emerging and SMB companies and employees. Engagements are not for months, but for years. And you will witness the business growth that you have fostered.
- On a project you will have a team under you and will hold them accountable – with the support of the client CEO.
- As Focused Energy grows, so will your internal responsibilities and impact. Drew is a passionate Founder who wants not only to grow the business, but transform Focused Energy, his clients and the industry.
- You will identify white space and solutions, be Drew’s trusted advisor, and position Focused Energy as a thought leader (spearheading white papers, panel participations, keynotes, etc.)
- You will be instrumental in propelling the company to become a pure management consultancy while taking Focused Energy’s client portfolio upstream.
In-depth experience scaling a business and understanding the challenges growing companies face. Comfort and ease leading difficult conversations with client executive sponsors around misdirection, misalignment or competing priorities. Prior experience navigating these issues and owning the challenges. Authentic and intrinsic understanding of the human side to business.
Experience with FNA, finance transformation, technology, operations, process and policy. Demonstrated abilities to ideate, create and iterate effective and informative operational modeling for SMB (Scaling Series Seed, A and B companies)
Introducing Focused Energy
Founder & Managing Partner
Drew Lyon founded Focused Energy 10 years ago because of his passion for helping other companies scale and thrive. A knowledge of finance combined with a respect for innovation led Drew to start a company dedicated to helping people with great ideas create prosperous businesses.
He is a vocal advocate for the CFO to be more strategic, and be a thought leader internally, while looking beyond the spreadsheets believing that, “Numbers tell a story.”
He is an advisor with Blackstone Entrepreneurs Network Colorado, a member with Entrepreneurs Organization and gives back to the community with Wish for Wheels as a Board of Advisor member.
Drew has been featured on podcasts, webinars, panels and in Forbes. Personal interests includes traveling and painting.
Mike Lavilla joined Focused Energy three years ago as a Managing Partner.
He brings a wealth of cross industry experience to the firm and their clients. From telecommunications, financial services, retail to hospitality, Mike helps clients navigate growing pains while fostering Focused Energy’s growth of offerings.
Mike led the expansion of Focused Energy’s new operations program strategy, with the goal to realign systems, improve business efficiency and profitability, optimize systems, improve customer relationships and incorporate accountability and continuous improvement throughout the program.
What They Do
Focused Energy is a CFO, finance and business strategy firm for small and medium-sized companies. They help business leaders understand their finances and operations, so they can focus on their vision and build their company.
Their diverse experts provide strategic guidance to help business leaders achieve their mission, improve profitability and reduce stress. From small businesses to Fortune 500 organizations, companies choose their fractional finance and operations team because they often struggle to find the time, resources or expertise to efficiently scale.
Working in tandem, or as an extension of a company’s leadership team, businesses reap the benefit of outsourced advisors able to provide a myriad of high-level expertise in a single package, at a fraction of what they would normally pay for full-time staff.
Driven and inspired by their core values and passionate and energetic leadership, Focused Energy brings focus, drive, and compassion to their client portfolio today. They’re different from your average advisors, priding themselves as the straight-shooters, the planners, the strategists, the data geeks and expert communicators that make positive change happen. Partnering with business leaders to ensure clear and practiced decisions that are focused on the company’s long-term goals.
- Average client engagement is 2.5 years
- Organically grow client’s revenue between 50%-100%
- Focused Energy Consultants are key members of their client’s executive leadership
- Consultants are not drones- they provide substantive impact on growth, fundraise and executive mentorship
For more information visit https://focusedenergy.work
Focused Energy’s Proven Process
See beyond the obvious pain points of your business. Our proven method gathers the insight to clarify, simplify and achieve your goals. We help busy business leaders to work on instead of in their business.
- 30-minute overview
Goal: understand each other’s process, needs
Goal: get on the same page and clarify your vision
Goal: begin onboarding, facilitate efficiencies and traction
Goal: become a more healthy team and execute the company vision
- 30-minute overview
Fractional Accounting - Finance - Operations
See beyond the obvious
Strategic Financial Services
- Fractional CFO & Leadership
- Financial Modeling & Forecasting
- Budget to Actual
- Due Diligence, Fundraising & Valuation
- Cashflow Analysis
- Audit Preparation
- Expansion Plans
- Profitability Improvement
Strategic Operations Solutions
- Fractional COO & Leadership
- Resources & Staff Planning
- Organizational Alignment (people, process, technology)
- Operational Planning & Strategy
- Change Management
- Business Strategy, Creation & Execution
- Continuous Business Improvement
- Transition & Succession Planning
Case Study: Colorado CPG Company Goes Public
This consumer packaged goods (CPG) company was founded in 2010 and is headquartered in Denver, Colorado. They provide one of the nation’s leading, premium infused beverages. They are passionate about their product and businesses, and their dedication was earning explosive growth. Due to the fast growth, their current team was unprepared for the large increase in the number and complexity of transactions. Their CEO was frustrated by the inaccuracy and timeliness of the reporting that he was getting which was limiting his ability to manage his company’s growth. They were also concerned that without clean accounting and the right experts to make their dream of going public a reality, they couldn’t move forward.
Before Focused Energy: After local success in the Denver market, a consumer-packaged goods (CPG) company that produces premium infused beverages quickly expanded operations into multiple states. However, they found themselves managing growth without the right resources.
The company needed to go public to ensure development and funds, but they had a strict deadline that was five months away and quickly approaching.
In just five months, Focused Energy helped implement the financial infrastructure needed for a Reverse Take Over (RTO) to raise funds and fuel their growth by going public.
After Focused Energy: Focused Energy quickly deployed its team of finance and accounting experts to clean up and streamline accounting. Our fractional team integrated with the business’ existing team to help direct efforts for the public listing and scaling efforts afterwards. After the capital raise and listing, Focused Energy’s experts created a sustainable plan for future growth. Results achieved:
- Completed due diligence on 7 separate entities
Forensic Accounting on all entities for previous 3 years
- Prepared for and completed the 2.5 year financial audit by MGO and MNP
- Finalized all public filings
- Went public by the deadline
- Created accurate and scalable processes and procedures for business financials and reporting
- Interviewed and hired staff as internal resources at client
- Performed Operational Assessment and executed tactical solutions
- $25M Raised in Funding Round
- $2M+ Found Due to Reconciliation
- 2.5 Years Historical Audit Complete
- 3 Years Forensic Accounting Completed
- 5 Months Timeline to Successfully File Publicly